Whickham 1 North Shields 1 (06/10/2018) – Robins and Lang Jacks shair the spoils

The Robins could only share the spoils with Whickham in a tightly fought contest which saw both sides pick up a point.

Ryan Carr was on hand in the 12th minute to give the Robins a lead which their rampant start had deserved.

However, the hosts drew level early in the second half when Mark Doninger was on hand to head the ball home at the back post.

And despite a number of chances for both sides, the score remained level for the remaining few minutes of the game.

The Robins started brightly and after only two minutes, Gary Day fired over the crossbar following some excellent movement from midfield.

Following that, the hosts had a good chance to take the lead for themselves, however, Doninger fired his dangerous freekick wide of the goal.

As the game entered the 12th minute, Shields managed to break the deadlock when Carr collected the ball on the edge of the area before firing past the Whickham keeper.

Straight after this goal, Matty Pattison could very well have levelled the score, only for his deft shot the skim wide of the post.

The hosts were now enjoying a good spell of pressure, with Teasdale coming close in the 20th minute from long range.

Their best chance of the half fell in the 25th minute, however, Shields keeper Greg Purvis pulled off a brilliant save with his feet to frustrate the hosts further.

Carr almost scored his second of the game a couple of minutes before the break before Whickham winger Kelvin Thear broke up the other and fired a shot at goal, only for the ball to deflect agonizingly over the crossbar.

Despite starting the second half the stronger of the two teams, Shields switched off defensively, allowing Doninger the chance to fire his header at the back post past Purvis and into the goal in the 54th minute; giving Whickham the goal that they were craving.

This goal seemed to awaken the Robins and following an excellent run and cross from Matty Cornish, Carr was only able to slice a shot over the crossbar in the 55th minute.

The Robins were now really piling on the pressure, forcing the Whickham defence into some desperate defending.

Jack Donnison was the next Robin to try his luck in the 70th minute, however, a defender was able to get a toe to the ball, meaning the shot was deflected right down the throat of the Whickham shot-stopper.

Then only one minute later, Day broke the offside trap and found himself one on one with the keeper, however, his ferocious shot was brilliantly tipped away when it seemed the attempt was destined for the back of the net.

With only minutes left in the game, the last real chance fell the way of Shields when Donnison broke free on the wing, only for his excellent cross to miss everyone in the penalty area before the ball was hastily cleared to safety.

Final Score: Whickham 1 North Shields 1

North Shields Starting Eleven: Purvis, Donnison, Summerly, Forster, Coppen, Hughes, McRoberts, Ormston, Day (Taylor 76), Carr, Cornish

Unused Substitutes: Robinson, Sampson, Hall, Spooner