‘Robins handed low blow in Boxing Day encounter’

A Regan Paterson composed finish was not enough as Shields fell foul to two late on goals as Joe Posthill and Billy Gruelich-Smith struck to give the Railwaymen just their second away win of the season.

It was the hosts who started the brighter, using possession well to dictate play on a very wet surface. The visitors dug in deep to create a deep defensive wall for the Robins to try and penetrate.

Stephen Forster was on hand to turn defense into attack, liquidating a Shildon counter and picking out Paterson at the back post after a marauding run down the right, Paterson disappointingly scuffing his effort wide in what should have seen the Robins take the lead.

Moments later Shildons’ custodian Harrison Bond was called into emergency action to head the ball off the line from a deflected Tom Potter shot.

Shildons’ Patrick Almond picked up the first caution of the encounter on the quarter of an hour mark for taking out Regan Paterson on half way. Dan Wilson headed wide from the resulting freekick.

Hodgson was kept warm at the other end as he was called into action to intercept Ben Trotter as he broke into the Robins penalty area.

Shildon were forced into a substitution on the half hour mark, when Max Booth replaced Alex White in the Shildon defense.

Shildon found themselves in a dangerous position after Jack Walker conceded a freekick on the edge of the area, fortunately for the Robins it was a tame effort comfortably collected by Hodgson.

Jack Walker made amends to win back possession to halt a dangerous Shildon attack, moments later Shildon thought they had took the lead when Billy Greulich-Smith cut in from the right before curling an effort beyond Hodgson to see his effort ricochet off the cross, bounce off the line and back into the play.

Half time was upon the bumper crowd of 425 went in search of warmth, with the game in the balance and visitors growing back into the game as the half progressed, wondering what was in store for the second half.

The second half got underway with the Robins immediately taking a foothold of the game, Forster broke down the right and swung in a dangerous cross but there was no Robin insight to get on the end of it.

Hodgson was called into action after a poor cross field pass got caught up in the stick surface and intercepted, only for the Shildon attack to be quashed by the outrushing Hodgson.

GOAL 1-0, 56’ Regan Paterson

The Robins with the first significant blow, the ball played through cutting the Shildon defense in half, found Paterson bringing the ball down with his head, driving his way into the penalty before a composed finish as the ball stuck to the surface, to give the Robins the lead.

Moments later the Robins almost caught the visitors with their guard down in similar fashion as another ball through the middle caught out the Shildon defense again, allowing the Paul Van Zandvliet to bear down on goal only for this time the ball was caught in his feet, denying him the chance to get a shot away.

On the hour mark, Shields made a double change with Paul Van Zandvliet replacing David Robinson and Antonio Agostinho replacing Tom Potter.

GOAL 1-1, 68’ Joe Posthill

A corner cleared by the Robins was picked up by Posthill who turned on the edge of the area, drove his way into the box, allowed to travel too far before slotting beyond Hodgson to draw the visitor’s level.

Shildon grew more into the game and missed two glorious chances to take the lead, thankfully for the Robins poor finishing by the Railwaymen saved them.

GOAL 1-2, 76’ Billy Greulich-Smith

An unmarked Gruelich-Smith was given too much time and space to head home beyond Hogdson to deal the Robins a knock-out blow and give the visitor’s the lead.

Dan Turner replaced Regan Paterson with 10 minutes left on the clock, in search of a way back into the contest.

In the search for an equalizer, Jack Walker found himself on the receiving end of a stray arm in an aerial duel, resulting in the defender left on the floor, resulting in a short break whilst he received treatment.

Unfortunately as the game restarted, the Robins were not able to muster up any real chances to get back into the game, seeing them fall to defeat at the hands of the Railway men.

The Pub & Kitchen MOM was awarded to Liam Doyle for his non stop effort in midfield.

A disappointing result, a game in which the Robins could have got more from had chances been taken.

North Shields: Hodgson, Forster, Chrisp, Doyle, Bexton, Walker, Potter, Oliver, Wilson, Van Zandvliet, Paterson.

Subs not used: Cunningham, Heppell

Next game up for the Robins is on January 2nd as they make the short trip over the tyne as they take on 4th placed Hebburn Town.