MATCH REPORT | ‘Robins play for over an hour with 10 men’

Looking to build on from the impressive midweek win over Tow Law, the Robins welcomed Penrith to the Daren Persson Stadium.

The contest started fairly open with the hosts creating the first real chance of the game after 5 minutes, Callum Dobson down well to make a comfortable save.

The Robins breaking on the counter, Cai Pritchard through on goal beating the offside trap, clipped the ball over the out rushing Harvey Reay, only to see the ball bounce past the wrong side of the far post.

Dan Savage caused issues down the left, cutting inside before trying his luck with a curled effort.

Savage again on the attack, forcing a corner out of the visitor’s, subsequently headed over from close range from Luke Salmon.

The visitors, reminding the Robins it was not going to be all one sided, tried their luck with an effort from range, causing no harm to Dobson’s goal.

Kosegarten-Lopez created space for himself in the penalty area from a freekick, before firing an effort into the side netting.


A very harsh decision from what appeared to be very little to contact at all, a ball through the middle, the youngster in a battle with Reay to get to the ball, the keeper getting to the ball marginally before Henry before clutching his head as the youngster went past him the referee very quick in producing the red card.

Despite the man disadvantage this did not deter the Robins from playing on the front foot, Will McCamley broke through the visiting defence before squaring the ball across the face of goal, Savage at the back post who’s touch evaded him at the crucial time.

Moments later after the visitor’s failed to clear their lines with any conviction, Dan Savage hit the crossbar from 30 yards out.

On the brink of the break, the visitor’s almost took the lead, a free header guided wide of the target to the relief of the Robins, a big let off.

The last chance of the half, fell to Savage who had been dangerous all half, picking up the ball at the post before firing over the top from a tight angle.

A good first half from the Robins, plenty of chances created from some impressive flowing moves, being reduced to 10 men after half an hour, did not appear to be a deterrent for the Robins to continue to attack, the visitor’s did well to keep the Robins out, creating a couple of chances themselves.

The visitor’s hit on the counter at the start of the second half, only to be met by great defensive cover to extinguish the counter attack.


A cross field pass into the penalty, picking out Salmon at the back post, dropped his shoulder and skipped past the defender before calmly slotting the ball home, underneath Reay from a tight angle giving the Robins a deserved lead.

Both teams were temporarily reduced to 10 men when Penrith’s Matthew Moynan’s was sent to the sin bin.


Equalizer for the visitor’s, a long ball deep into the penalty area, flicked onto Shields at the back post, who headed from close range unmarked.

Albe Fletcher replaced Cai Pritchard for the first change of the afternoon for the Robins.

Harvey Reay on hand with two saves in a matter of minutes for Penrith, both from Fletcher, firstly using his face, before the youngster linked up well with McCamley and Kwak to create another chance.

Luke Salmon almost regained the lead for the Robins only for his effort to be cleared off the line.

Lee Mason and Ewan McGowan replaced Matty Telfer and Will McCamley with 10 minutes left to play.


A late winner for the visitor’s, undoing all of the hard work put in by the Robins over the course of the 90 minutes. Connor Shields getting his and Penrith’s second, another header at the back post, this time across goal seeing the ball nestle in the corner.

The final change of the afternoon saw Joseph Abrahart replace Mauricio Kosegarten-Lopez.

Subs: Abrahart (‘90+1), Meighten (GK), Fletcher (‘66), McGowan (‘80), Mason (‘80)

A very tough defeat to take in the circumstance, a seemingly harsh decision to reduce the Robins to 10 men, despite the fact, the lads dug deep and continued to press on the front foot, creating a number of good, chances, deservedly taking the lead but unable to see out the game with the man disadvantage.

At full time, the Advance Garage Doors MOTM was presented to Luke Salmon, a captain’s performance, fully deserving of the MOTM award, capped off with a great goal.

Next up, we welcome West Allotment Celtic to the Daren Persson Stadium on Wednesday night with a 7.30pm kick off.

North Shields: Dobson, Odle (‘90+1), Salmon ©, Kwak, Kosegarten-Lopez, Cherry, McCamley (‘80), Henry, Telfer (‘80), Pritchard (‘66), Savage.

Goal Scorers: Salmon (‘57)

Yellow Cards: Luke Salmon, Will McCamley, Cai Pritchard, Brian Smith, Andy Bowman

Red Card: Lewis Henry

Attendance: 301

Advanced Garage Doors MOTM: Luke Salmon

Up Next: West Allotment Celtic – Wednesday 28th February – 7.30pm