North Shields 1 Hebburn Town 5: Five star Hornets inflict first home defeat on Robins

The Robins suffered their first home defeat of the season as Hebburn Town secured a 5-1 win at the Daren Persson Stadium.

Hebburn took the lead midway through the first half through Jack Robson’s curled effort.

Two goals in the space of two minutes from Luke Sullivan and Graeme Armstrong gave the Hornets a commanding 3-0 lead.

A Ryan Carr header looked to spark an unlikely comback for the Robins.

However, Armstrong scored two late goals to secure his hattrick and the three points for the Division One table toppers.

The Robins started the game brightly and in the ninth minute, a nice turn from Campbell allowed the striker the chance to set Carr through on goal. However, his through ball was over hit and safely collected by Hebburn keeper Andrew Jennison.

Two minutes later, Cam Cunningham tried his luck on goal from long range, only to see the ball sail harmlessly over the bar.

Both teams were enjoying a reasonable amount of possession but it was the Robins who were coming closer to opening the scoring.

In the 26th minute, Cunningham once again tried his luck on goal, this time from a much closer distance, but his header was saved by the keeper.

However, three minutes later, the Robins found themselves a goal behind when midfielder Robson weaved his way past two defenders before curling the ball past the outstretched hand of Purvis.

The Robins responded brightly and in the 38th minute, Paul Van Zandvliet connected with a Nick Cassidy corner, only to head the ball onto the roof of the net.

With half time fast approaching, the Hornets were in search of a second and if not for a fingertip save from Purvis, Armstrong’s powerful shot would have foun the bottom corner of the net.

Shields were looking for a way back into the game and five minutes into the second half, Kyle Patton almost came up with the goal.

After he was on the end of a fantastic through ball, he rounded his marker and struck the ball past Jennison, only to see it cannon of the bottom corner of the post.

The Robins were punished almost immediately when Sullivan was on hand to hammer the ball past Purvis, after a goalmouth scramble.

Only one minute later, the Hornets had their third goal when Armstrong converted from close range, after some good play from the his midfield.

Three goals down and in need of a way back into the game, Nash brought Denver Morris and Scott McCarthy on and their presence had an immediate effect.

In the 72nd minute, a deep cross into the box found the unmarked Carr who rose highest to flick the ball into the back of the net; his fourth goal in four games.

Hebburn responded well to being pegged back and in the 78th minute, Armstrong once again tested the reflexes of Purvis, who pulled off another great save to deny the experienced striker.

However, there was nothing Purvis could do about the fourth Hebburn goal as Armstrong had plenty of time and space to convert the ball from within the penalty area.

And with second left on the clock, Armstrong added a fifth for Hebburn when fired a freekick over the wall and into the goal at the near post; with the referee blowing the final whistle immediately afterwards.