Match Report | ‘Robins respond after midweek blip’

Marc Nash made three changes to the starting XI in a bid to look for a response after a disappointing midweek trip to Tadcaster on Tuesday night.

A nervy start to the game as both teams looked to get a foothold on the game, the hosts caught offside numerous times in the opening exchanges.

The hosts were then forced into an unwanted change as Joe Lumsden was unable to continue due to injury.

The Robins carved out their first opportunity of the afternoon as Cam Cunningham jinked his way through the Colliers defense only for Pontefract to clear their lines as Connor Oliver whipped in a teasing cross which evaded David Robinson flying in by inches.

GOAL 16’ North Shields – Callum Larmouth, 1-0

Dan Wilson held the ball up well on halfway, picking out Liam Doyle slotting in at fullback, who played the ball over the top for Larmouth to latch onto, he kept his composure to lob the ball first time over the out-rushing Kyle Trenerry.

Five minutes later, the Robins had the ball in the back of the net for a second time, fluid link up play on the edge of the area, the ball found its way to David Palmer who slotted home only to be denied by the way of the officials offside flag.

The visitors almost hit back, with an effort flashed across the face of goal only just evading the vital touch required.

A flurry of corners were not enough for the Robins to capitalize on to extend their lead as the half drew to a conclusion.

Evan Hogarty was forced through injury, replaced by JJ Chrisp, which resulted in Marc Nash reshuffling his pack and seeing Connor Oliver, slot in at the heart of the Robins defense alongside Jack Walker.

Cam Cunningham beat Trenerry to the ball as he rounded him but could not see it home as the Colliers defense were able to recover.

GOAL 43’ North Shields – Callum Larmouth, 2-0

Possibly topping his second goal last week, Larmouth was laid off by Wilson after great hold up play, before unleashing a thunderbolt with his right foot, leaving Trenerry with no hope of getting anything near it as the ball nestled in the back of the net.

Going into the break at halftime with the lead and good for it, the visitors had not done enough to cause the Robins defense any real issues.

The visitors came out for the second half looking for a way back into the game and went straight on the front foot. Looking to play through Gavin Allott, the visitors saw a lot of the ball but were not able to muster up any significant chances, anything that went close to the Robins goal was cleared up easily by Aaron Steavens.

The Robins were able to hold off any pressure from the visitors and looked to play forward themselves, Dan Wilson caused havoc for the visitors defense, holding the ball up well and turning his marker, winning freekicks to help the Robins progress up the pitch.

Callum Larmouth continued to provide a threat to the visitors and almost completed his hat-trick, cutting in from the right and trying his luck again from 25 yards, narrowly going over the bar.

The visitors running out of time to rescue anything from the game continued to press, Aaron Steavens continued to gather in anything that came within the radius of the penalty area.

GOAL 79’ North Shields – Nathan Kidd, 3-0

An impact substitution with less than an quarter of an hour left, a long ball over the top picked out David Robinson, who drove towards the Pontefract goal before sliding in a through ball to Kidd, who with great composure slotted home beyond Trenerry with his first touch and his first goal for North Shields.

The third goal of the afternoon all but confirmed the three points would be staying in North Tyneside to cap off a brilliant response to what was a poor showing in midweek.

RED CARD 89’ Cody Cromack – Pontefract Collieries

The afternoon got even worse for the visitors, both teams battling for possession in the middle of the park, JJ Chrisp was on the end of a clumsy unnecessary challenge, giving match official Christopher Ellis no other option but to give Pontefracts’ Cody Cromack his marching orders.

The Robins were able to see out the remaining few minutes and return to winning ways, pushing them up one place to 13th in the league table.

At full-time Callum Larmouth was deservedly presented with the Pub & Kitchen Player of the Game Award for a cracking performance rounded off with two magnificent goals.

The win will give the lads an additional boost as they take on Blyth Spartans in the Northumberland Senior Cup on Wednesday night.

North Shields: Steavens, Doyle, McDonald, Fogarty (Chrisp), Palmer, Oliver, Walker, Cunningham (Kidd), Wilson (Heppell), Robinson, Larmouth.

Subs not used: Paterson, Hodgson

Pub & Kitchen Player of the Game: Callum Larmouth

Attendance: 253
Next Up: Blyth Spartans (H) – Wednesday 1st March – 7.30pm