Match Report: ‘Robins advance thanks to Heppell brace’.

Marc Nash’s side booked their place in the quarter-finals via the power of youth last night as a brace from second half substitute Luke Heppell was enough to see off the students.

It was the students however with the first chance of the game in the opening minutes, when Robinson had the ball taken off him deep in his own half, only for the student’s to be denied by a brilliant recovery tackle from Robinson to spare his blushes.

At the other end, Robinson turned defence into attack with a cross field pass to McDonald who was making his return to the squad, who’s cross was cleared for the Robins first corner of the evening.

The resulting corner was headed over by Paul Van Zandvliet at the back post.

Good hold up play down the right hand flank from Van Zandvliet won the Robins their second corner of the day moments later. The short corner routine found Wilson in the middle who’s headed effort fell into the grasp of Harry Rowe in goal for the students.

The game continued to flow with both teams looking to play on the attack at every opportunity.

The students had a great opportunity to open the scoring as Tulu Osiyemi powered his way through the Robins defence before unleashing a shot to forget as it sailed harmlessly over Aaron Steavens goal, making his debut for the Robins.

With 20 minutes on the clock the weather took a turn for the worse as the heavens opened.

Shields continued to attack and try to get a foothold on the game.

A poor goal kick from Harry Rowe was intercepted by Robinson from around 30 yards out, who fired an effort narrowly wide.

A long throw from McDonald, flicked on by Wilson found Paterson who’s cross was cleared for another corner for the Robins.

At the other Steavens was called into action, forced into a great low down save to his left to keep the students at bay.

A goal mouth clearance denied the Robins taking the lead on the half hour mark as the students managed to clear it off the line.

GOAL ‘34 0-1, Regan Paterson

Regan Paterson worked himself into the box unleashing a blocked effort which rebounded back to him to follow up the initial effort with an overhead kick which sailed past Rowe to give the Robins the lead.

GOAL ‘35 1-1, Mathew Foster

The students hit back immediately after the restart, a defensive mishap at the back for the Robins, allowed Foster to nip in and slot past Steavens to bring the Students level.

Dan Turner tried a speculative effort from 20 yards but was comfortably dealt with by Rowe.

Half time came around and brought an end to a very good half of football, Shields with the more clear cut chances in the half but the students letting them know that there was still a long way to go in the tie.

The teams reappeared for the second half with no changes for the Robins as they looked to push on.

Regan Paterson with the first chance of the 2nd half, played in over the top by Dan Turner, mistiming his lobbed effort over the out rushing Rowe.

Dan Wilson then tried his luck, using his strength to go past two defenders before firing an effort deflected for a corner.

Dan Wilson turned provider as he flicked in Van Zandvliet, whose effort was kept out by the strong left hand of Rowe.

Jack Walker picked out McDonald down the left, whose deep cross found Rio Joisce, making his first start, only to scuff his effort at the back post.

Shields continued to knock on the door in search of the lead.

On the hour mark, Cam Cunningham replaced Rio Joisce after a hard working performance in midfield.

Liam Doyle flashed the ball across the 6 yard box, unfortunately nobody was on hand to get vital touch.

On 70 minutes, more changes for the Robins as Brad Hird, Antonio Agostinho and Luke Heppell replaced Dan Wilson, Dan Turner and Regan Paterson.

GOAL 75’ 1-2, Luke Heppell

The new introductions made an instant impact, Agostinho too strong for his man, beating for strength and pace, drove towards goal, cutting inside to square to Heppell to pass the ball into the goal to give the Robins the lead again.

The Robins almost added a third, good work from McDonald to burst into the penalty area and pick out Agostinho, whose effort squirmed from the grasp of Rowe and out for a corner.

GOAL 82’ 1-3, Luke Heppell

A CAm Cunningham free kick crashed off the crossbar and found Heppell who was in the right place at the right time to slot home to get his second of the evening and put the game to bed for the Robins.

As the game drew to a conclusion the students were handed a chance to get back into the game with a freekick from 25 yards, the initial strike did not get past a stern Robins defensive wall and follow up sailing harmlessly out for a goal kick.

The Robins were able to see out the last few minutes unscathed and secure their place in the quarter finals.

North Shields: Steavens, Doyle, Brannen, Walker, McDonald, Joisce (Cunningham), Van Zandvliet, Robinson, Turner (Agostinho), Paterson (Hird), Wilson (Heppell).

Subs not used: Myers.