Match Report: Clinical Robins secure all 3 points.

Goals from JJ Chrisp and Brad Hird ensured that the Robins picked up their second league win of the season and moved them into the top half of the table.

Marc Nash made one change from Tuesday night’s FA Trophy win over Pontefract Collieries with Liam Doyle replacing the unavailable Connor Oliver.

Grantham made the long trip north with a good vocal following to the Daren Persson Stadium.

It was the visitors who made the stronger start to the game, trying to control the tempo with larger spells of possession. They created the first real chance of the game, a freekick swung into the penalty area and effort poked over the crossbar.

At the other end, communication broke down amongst the defense and awarded the Robins a cheap corner.

The visitors should have taken the lead on quarter of the hour mark, good interlinking play showcasing the Grantham attacking threat, they forced a way into the Robins penalty area only to drag the effort wide of Hodgsons’ goal.

Shields remained patient, looking to counter Grantham’s pressing play. Good work between Forster, Van Zandvliet and Paterson forced another corner to Shields, which resulted in Robinson volleying over the bar.

Grantham continued to press, seeing large amounts of the ball with Shields staying resilient and biding their time.

GOAL 20’ JJ Chrisp, 1-0

Clinical counter play from the Robins as Van Zandviet won back possession on half way, played a diagonal ball over the top to Turner who slid in JJ Chrisp on the overlap to calmly pick out the bottom corner.

Moments later Shields broke again with Robinson driving towards goal, brought down outside the area only to be cautioned for simulation.

The match officials then caused confusion around the ground when the ball appeared to go out for a goal kick for the match official to award a corner to the Robins.

Halftime was upon only after Grantham missed a golden opportunity to go in level at the break, interlinking passing move to find a way into the box, only to flash an effort across the face of Hodgsons’ goal.

Grantham enjoyed more possession in the first half but unable to capitalize on the opportunities created with Shields on the other hand being patient, striking decisively to go in at the break one up.

It was a feisty start to the second half with Grantham looking to find a way to get back level. A missed foul on Cunningham resulted in Van Zandvliet being booked for a challenge.

Grantham countered from a Shields corner and looked bound to equalize only to be denied by great defensive recovery from Doyle.

Grantham then tried an effort from distance only to fire the ball into the car park.

Moments later they had a corner, swung in and brought down inside the area, once again firing over the top.

Tom Potter came on for Dan Turner in the 65th minute and moments later Brad Hird replaced Regan Paterson.

Shields looked to add a second and Van Zandvliet fired an effort just over from outside the area.

Great vision from Potter played in Cunnigham who’s touch evaded him at the crucial point to deny him from scoring.

Both teams continued to cancel each other out, with a lot of the play in the middle of the park with both sets of players doing everything within their powers.

Grantham continued to search for an equalizer and Shields looked to keep them out and add a second if possible.

GOAL 88’ Brad Hird, 2-0

Grantham pressing and trying to work a way back into the game, Shields cleared their lines and a poor pass back was capitalized on by Robinson who drove into the Gingerbread men’s penalty area and squared the ball to Hird who kept his calm to fire home and settle the result.

The referee indicated 5 minutes of additional time in which Shields were able to see out and ensure that all 3 points were staying in NE29.

The Pub & Kitchen MOM award was presented to Liam Doyle for a battling performance in midfield.

The win pushes the Robins upto 9th place and next week the attention changes back to FA Trophy as we welcome Runcorn Linnets to the Daren Persson stadium in the second qualifying round.