Match Report | Carlisle City | Home

Match Report

Wednesday 9th August 2023

Ebac Northern League – Division One

‘Robins bounce back in fine fashion’

North Shields 5 – 1 Carlisle City

Dan Iredale made three changes to the starting eleven from Saturday’s defeat to the hands of Ashington in the FA Cup.

Jonny Ball was called into action in the opening few moments when he had to deal with a freekick from the visitors, before moments later got down well to push another effort on goal away.

Paul Van-Zandvliet with the first effort for the Robins, got up well to connect with a Stephen Forster cross but was unable to guide the effort goalbound.


Just under a quarter of an hour played, Brad Hird fired the Robins in front after great work by Regan Paterson with a great turn in the middle of the park before feeding Hird to slot home.


An almost instant reply from the visitors brought the game back level.

Paul Van Zandvliey almost restored the lead with a thunderbolt of an effort only to see his attempt denied by a great save from Scott Sinons.

Halfway through the first half, Luke Salmon was on hand with a crucial interception before moments later, after possession given away cheaply the visitors were not able to capitalize and punish the Robins.

Brad Hird thought he had restored the lead with just over half an hour played only to be deemed offside by the tightest of margins.

On the stroke of half time, the visitors missed a golden opportunity to at the break with the lead, a poor header failed to cause any major concern to Jonny Balls’ goal.

The Robins had chances themselves to go in at the break with lead, firstly PVZ and Paterson linked up well but the ball into the box was not met a Shields player, Tom Potter fired an effort agonizingly wide before Joe Thompson intercepted the ball before clipping ti over the top to Brad Hird who denied by a brilliant last ditch tackle.

Half time and the game in the balance, both teams evenly matched with the visitors enjoying larger periods of possession of the football but the Robins looking the more dangerous of the two sides, especially on the counter.

Brad Hird was involved instantly after the restart and was presented with a great opportunity to restore the advantage only to see his effort blocked by another last ditch tackle.

Regan Paterson tried his luck after skillfully working his way past the defender before unleashing a shot dealt with well by Scott Simons.

Another good flowing move involved Potter and Forster, allowing the latter to have an attempt on goal but was not able to find the back of the net.


A perfectly weighted through ball split the Carlisle defence to which Paterson latched onto before slotting home with a deft touch beyond Simons.

Thomas McIntyre replaced PVZ with half an hour left.


Tom Potter smashes his freekick off the wall, the ball rebounds to the feet of Myers to tucks it home to extend the Robins lead to three.

With just over a quarter of an hour left to play, Dan Turner replaced David Palmer.

Turner instantly became involved as he looked to feed in Potter, but the ball with too much on it as it escaped the clutches of Potter.

Connor Gales replaced Brad Hird upfront.

Connor Oliver whipped in a teasing corner kick, Simons punches his lines clear but can only reach the feet of Turner, who skips his way past three defenders before being brought down for a free kick.


Connor Olver with the resulting freekick, steps up and curls it around the wall off the woodwork and in to extend the lead to four.


A Corner kick for the Robins, a lapse in concentration from the visitor’s allowed for a quick corner to be taken, the ball worked to Potter who had time and space to pick his spot and fire the ball home to extend the lead to five.

Connor Gales almost added a sixth when he reached his toe to connect with a Regan Paterson cross come shot but the effort rolled the wrong side of the post.

With that being the last action of the half, the match official brought the game to conclusion seeing the Robins make two wins from two, with Shildon the visitor’s on Saturday to the Daren Persson Stadium

A commanding second half performance securing all three points and five different goal scorers, the perfect response to Saturday’s disappointing result and a great platform to build on going forward.

Despite the result going against them, Carlisle created plenty of chances throughout the duration of the game and caused problems and no doubt will continue to do so throughout the season for opponents.

We look forward to the return visit in December when we make the journey over to Cumbria

Next up for the Robins, we welcome Shildon to the Daren Persson Stadium with a 3pm kick off, we hope you can join us to cheer on the lads and help them continue the good start to the league campaign.

North Shields: Ball, Forster, Salmon, Oliver (McIntyre), Myers, Bexton, Potter, Palmer, Gales (Hird), Van-Zandvliet, Leonard (Paterson).

Goal Scorers: Brad Hird ‘13, Regan Paterson ‘58, Anth Myers ‘70, Connor Oliver ‘78, Tom Potter ‘81.

Advanced Garage Doors MOTM: Connor Oliver

Attendance: 212
Next Up: Shildon (H) – Ebac Northern League Div One – Saturday 12th August – 3pm