Match Preview | Long Eaton United | Home

Match Report

Saturday 8th April 2023

Northern Premier League – East Division

North Shields 1-0 Long Eaton United

‘Robins bounce back in hard fought win’.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 By Sam Cave

After last week’s disappointing loss at home to Bridlington, the Robins went into this tie against an inform Blues’ side who were on a 12 game unbeaten run.

The visitors full of confidence coming into the contest started the brightest of the two sides, applying earlier pressure on the Robins goal producing a great low down save from Steavens to keep them out.

The Robins were able to absorb the early pressure from the hosts and had the first chance of their own when Dan Wilson drove into the penalty area only for his back heel to be intercepted.

The Robins defence continued to be called into action, Stevens again with a great save to keep the Blues’ out before Jack Walker cleared off the line.

A clash of heads inside the opposition penalty halted play as Simon Jakab tried to connect on the end of a Chris McDonald cross.

A heavy challenge on David Palmer produced the first caution of the game.

GOAL 26’ North Shields – Callum Larmouth, 1-0

After weathering the storm of the Long Eaton attack, the Robins took the lead on 26th minutes a Jack Walker ball straight down the middle unlocked the Blues’ defence, Larmouth beat the out rushing Sam Wilson to the ball before lobbing it over him into the empty net.

Aaron Steavens was on hand once more to keep the hosts out, with another great stop before facing a barrage of 5 consecutive corners, where the visitors threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Robins goal, but the brick wall that was the Robins defence, no way through could be found.

A goal to the good at the break, the Robins full value for it, last ditch defending and throwing their bodies on the line to ensure the lead stayed intact at the break. The visitors frustrated throughout the first half, plenty of pressure applied and chances created but nothing to show for it.

JJ Chrisp returned to action at half time, replacing Cam Cunningham at half time, but the youngsters return was short lived, after rolling his ankle just a few minutes after the restart.

Tom Potter had two attempts at taking a corner, after the first one retaken due to the match official not being present for it.

Paul Van Zandvliet replaced JJ Chrisp who was unable to continue.

Callum Larmouth provided defensive support with a crucial header to clear the ball for a Blues’ corner.

Long Eaton had a shout for an equalizer, a goalmouth scramble, claims the ball crossed the line, neither the match official or linesman were unable to confirm so no goal given as the Robins changed defence into attack, Tom Potter driving forward and at the crucial moment the ball got caught under his feet, unable to lay it off before the Blues’ were able to recover.

Paul Van provided a deep cross to the back post, where David Robinson tried in vain to get his headed effort goal bound but was unable to find the required angle.

Callum Larmouth tried his luck with a volley but was not able to direct his effort on goal before moments later David Robinson tried his luck from just inside the Long Eaton half, as tried to catch Sam Wilson off guard but his effort caused no harm.

At the heart of the brick wall of the Robins defence, Jack Walker was on hand to provide some solid defending to halt a Long Eaton attack before Aaron Steavens to scoop up the remains.

With time running out and pressure being applied by the Blues’ in search of a way back into the game, a dangerous deep played ball into the Robins penalty area, found its way to Tom Cursons at the back post, who appeared to punch the ball wide of the far post, after a short discussion between the match officials, Cursons was giving his marching orders for a second bookable offence in second half, making a challenging test even more harder for the visitor’s.

The Robins were able to see out the remaining few minutes of added time and return to winning ways seeing them remain in 7th place in the table, with more action just over the horizon as they travel to Shildon on Monday in the second part of the Easter weekend double header.

The Pub & Kitchen MOM award was presented to Jack Walker just full time, after yet another solid performance at the heart of the Robins defence.

North Shields: Steavens, Forster, McDonald, Palmer, Jakab, Walker, Robinson, Cunningham, Wilson, Potter, Larmouth.

Subs not used: Doyle, Hodgson, Oliver

Attendance: 288

Next Up: Shildon (A) – Monday 10th April – 3pm