Members of the Pitching In Northern Premier League East Division
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

North Shields 3 Newton Aycliffe 2: Carr Steers Robins To Hard Fought Victory

A Ryan Carr double helped steer the Robins to a hard-fought 3-2 home victory over Newton Aycliffe.

Liam Jarvie gave the visitors an early advantage, beating Greg Purvis with a low effort in the sixth minute.

The Robins responded well, with Carr striking twice to give Shields a one goal lead at the break.

After a long injury delay, Newton Aycliffe drew level midway through the second hal when Dean Thexton converted from close range.

But with the game heading for a draw, debutant Callum Patton beat Adam Pickford with a well-placed strike, securing the Robins’ sixth straight win.

It didn’t take long for the visitors to make the breakthrough as in the sixth minute, Jarvie broke free on goal before passing the ball under the onrushing Purvis.

The Robins were struggling initially to create chances on goal, however, in the 15th minute, a great challenge from Adam Forster allowed Scott McCarthy the opportunity to charge at goal, only for his shot under pressure to skew narrowly wide.

Moments later, a long range effort from Kyle Patton, who wasn’t closed down by the defence, was comfortably saved by Pickford.

Shields were beginning to turn the screw and in the 17th minute, after McCarthy was hacked down on the edge of the penalty area, Cam Cunningham’s freekick was excellently tipped around the post by the Aycliffe shot stopper.

In the 22nd minute, McCarthy once again burst towards the visiting defence before teeing up Patton, whose strike was well blocked by a diving defender before the ball was ultimately cleared.

The pressure was beginning to mount on the Newton Aycliffe defence and in the 24th minute, they finally broke.

After beating his man, Chris McDonald delivered a pin-point cross to the back post, finding Carr who towered above his marker to head the ball home.

Shields were now controlling the game and in the 33rd minute, a swinging Cunningham cross met the head of Patton, whose effort was destined for the back of the net but for a goal line clearance from Marc Costello.

With the visitors pinned back in their own half, the Robins soon struck again when, in the 35th minute, Patton’s low cross found Carr in the centre of the penalty area before the midfielder curled his shot past the rooted Pickford.

Newton Aycliffe started the second half brightly but their momentum ground to a halt when Shaun Ryder suffered what appeared to be a serious knee injury.

After a ten minute delay, the midfielder was stretchered off to allow the game to continue.

Minutes after the restart, the visitors had their equaliser when Thexton slammed the ball home from close range, with the Shields defence adamant he was offside.

The hosts tried to respond quickly as Cunningham dribbled his way past several defenders, however, his pass into the box was cut out before McCarthy could have tried his luck on goal.

Manager Marc Nash used all three of his substitutions to get back in front of Newton Aycliffe, and it was one of them who did just that.

In the 83rd minute, Callum Patton collected a cross from the right hand side and despite being marked by two players, he wrestled the ball free before tucking his shot beyond Pickford.

With the referee signalling for ten minutes of added time, the Robins were forced to sit back and defend, as Newton Aycliffe pressed forward in search of an equaliser.

Connor Phelan came closest to rescuing a point when he caught the Shields defence napping. However, he miscalculated his shot as the ball was sliced well wide.

And with the rain starting to fall, the referee brought the game to an end.

This result leaves North Shields in sixth place, while Newton Aycliffe drop one place to seventh.