Dunston UTS 2 North Shields 2 (13/11/2018) – Second half comeback denies Robins all three points

A second half comeback from Dunston UTS prevented the Robins from returning home with all three points in a thrilling game under the lights.

A first half strike from birthday boy Bobby Taylor was enough to give the Robins a deserved lead at the break.

The visitors lead was doubled midway through the second when an outstanding freekick from Sean McRoberts was drilled into the top corner past former Morpeth Town keeper Karl Dryden.

However, two goals from Dan Capewell and Jake Stafford ensured that both sides would have to settle for one point each.

Dunston started the stronger of the two teams and in the third minute, Liam Brooks tested Greg Purvis with a low drive, however, the Robins keeper smartly tipped the ball away from the inside of the post.

The pressure wasn’t easing and only one minute later, Callum Elliott struck a fine effort which cannoned against the crossbar before being cleared to safety.

Having survived the early pressure, the Robins had a great chance to open the scoring following a scorching McRoberts and Summerly run in the 17th minute, however, Taylor’s strike was well blocked by a diving defender.

This awoke the Dunston forward line and in the 21st minute, Purvis pulled off an outstanding save from close range to deny Jordan Nellis the opening goal of the night.

Having survived all this pressure, Shields took the lead in the 27th minute when Taylor beat the offside trap, courtesy of a deft Callum Johnston pass, before racing through on goal and chipping the keeper.

In an attempt to rediscover their sharpness in front of goal, the hosts began to throw more bodies forward and in the 35th minute, a well-struck effort from Elliott forced Purvis into a smart save low down.

The Robins had one last attempt before the half to double their advantage after a foul on Adam Forster, however, the deeply swung freekick was an inch too high for Forster to reach at the back post.

Dunston started the second half brightly and in the 50th minute, Andrew Grant-Soulsby had a shot from the edge of the box skipped narrowly wide.

However, in the 52nd minute, the visitors doubled their lead when McRoberts swung an excellent freekick past the outstretched arm of Dryden from 25-yards out into the top corner of the net.

The hosts got back into the game in the 65th minute when after a questionable freekick decision, Dan Capewell connected with the ball to steer it past Purvis and into the back of the net.

Despite this setback, the Robins continued to pressure the Dunston goal and in the 72nd minute, from a Craig Spooner cross, Jack Donnison’s header forced the keeper into a smart save.

Almost immediately afterwards, the unbeaten hosts drew level when Jake Stafford’s connection from a well-struck corner beat Purvis and the Shields defence from close range.

This goal opened the game up completely as both teams came surging forward in search of that all-important third goal.

However, with time running out, neither team could find their way through one more time as both Shields and Dunston were forced to share the points.

Final Score: Dunston UTS 2 North Shields 2

Attendance: 311

Referee: Stephen Dial

Dunston UTS Starting Line Up: Karl Dryden, Liam Marrs, Daniel Halliday (c), Jake Stafford, Andrew Grant-Soulsby, Daniel Capewell, Callum Elliott (Thomas Bexon 63), Michael Pearson, Jordan Nellis, Liam Brooks (Scott Heslop 79), Jack Elliott

Yellow Cards: Michael Pearson 39, Daniel Capewell 45

Unused Substitutes: Niall Harrison, Callum Little, Aiden Haley

North Shields Starting Eleven: Greg Purvis, Jack Donnison, Jordan Summerly, Adam Forster, Mark McManus, Kevin Hughes (c), Sean McRoberts, Craig Spooner (Gary Ormston 79), Callum Johnston (Gary Day 71), Finlay Hayhurst (Lewis McGeoch 77), Bobby Taylor

Yellow Cards: Adam Forster 64, Sean McRoberts 70, Bobby Taylor 77

Unused Substitutes: Paul Robinson, Curtis Coppen