A Midweek Stalemate

North Shields 0 – 0 Consett AFC

By Sam Cave

Tuesday night saw the Robins make their first away trip of the season to their old friends Consett.

The hosts came into the game after suffering defeat at the weekend to Cleethorpes and the Robins put their first point on the board at home to LIncoln United.

A healthy crowd was present as the game got underway and from the early outset of the game, you could tell it was going to be a tight game, with both sides not allowing the other to gain any real momentum.

The hosts looked dangerous on the break but did cause any real concerns for Robins custodian Hodgson’.

Myers intercepted the hosts’ attempted break before trying his luck with a right footed volley that sailed narrowly over.

Shields worked hard to create chances and try and carve a way through the Consett defense, Potter working hard down the right hand side and Hird working tirelessly up front.

Shields did manage to find the back of the net, a cleared corner was worked back into the box and fell to feet of Robinson, who lashed it home only to the effort chalked off for offside.

At the other end, Consett broke forward and almost got a goal themselves only to be denied by a strong left hand of Hodgson’, who tipped it onto the post and out for a corner.

Forster tried his luck, taking a free-kick early from the edge of the center circle, only to the speculative effort gathered in by the Consett keeper.

Shields tried to counter attack from a Consett corner, the ball was played to Wilson, who entered into the Consett half, before being hauled down by the Consett captain.

Just before the break, Potter was forced off through injury and replaced by Cunningham.

The second half was more of the same, with both teams working hard to create chances and limit the other team.

The Robins were let off the hook a couple of times, via some poor finishing from the hosts’ front line.

Shields down the other end continued to work out a way of opening the scoring, McDonald working hard down the left, Robinson working hard through the middle.

Forster swung in a cross from the right, which found Robinson, who floated a header into the grasp of the Consett keeper.

As the game grew closer to a conclusion, Consett started looking in search of a winner, good defensive work from the Robins’ back line, limited the hosts to effort from distance, which were not good enough to cause any real sense of danger.

Consett had a chance to take the lead, as Myers fouled deep inside the Robins’ half, the resulting freekick cannoned off the post before being cleared.

Palmer then made a terrific last ditch tackle to halt a dangerous looking Consett counter attack.

Paterson replaced the ever hardworking Hird as the Robins looked to find a winner and pick up the first three points of the season.

Unfortunately a winner never came.

Both teams settled for a point. Which sees the Robins in 11th place, a spot behind our next league opponents Long Eaton United, which will see the Robins on the road again as they travel to Derbyshire on the 27th August.

Before that game, Shields take on Seaham Red Star in the FA Cup this Saturday, 20th August with a 3pm kick off.