Whitley Bay 0 North Shields 3 (15/12/2018) – McRoberts and Day help Robins complete the double over Seahorses

Two goals from Gary Day and one from Sean McRoberts helped the Robins complete the league double over Whitley Bay at a wet and windy Hillheads Park.

After a goalless first half, it took until the 51st minute for McRoberts to give the visitors the lead, following a long-range shot which took a slight deflection on its way in.

Whitley almost replied immediately when Kevin Carr’s shot from the penalty spot was comfortably saved by Greg Purvis.

However, having been brought on in the 68th minute for Callum Johnston, Day then bagged two goals in five minutes at the end of the game to secure the Robins second win on the bounce.

Off the back of their brilliant win over Hebburn Town last weekend, Shields started the game far stronger than the hosts and in the eighth minute, Ryan Carr’s good play helped release him through on goal before he was tackled by a recovering defender. Despite pleas for a penalty, the referee wasn’t interested and the game continued.

As the temperatures began to drop, both teams struggled to put together many realistic chances. Johnston came close for the Robins in the 16th minute, however, his powerful shot was blocked on the line by some heroic defending before the ball was hacked clear.

As the game entered the 30th minute, the heavens opened, leaving both players and fans alike drenched. McRoberts almost took everyone’s minds off the weather when his curled effort looked certain to go in, only to see Whitley keeper Tom Flynn acrobatically tip the ball over.

Whilst the visitors were beginning to turn the screw, the Seahorses were really struggling to deal with the Robins intensity and in the 33rd minute, luck was the only thing keeping them in the game. After the ever-energetic Johnston found his way into the penalty area, his effort struck the crossbar, bounced back onto the goalline before being booted clear to safety.

As the second half began, the visitors were keeping up their good play from the first half and in the 51st minute, they were rewarded. Having won the ball off an opposing midfielder, McRoberts ran towards the Whitley goal before unleashing one of his trademark thunderbolts at the goal. After a slight deflection, the ball rifled into the back of the net to give the Robins a deserved lead.

With the visitors now in front, the Whitley attack finally clicked into gear and in the 59th minute, they really should have drawn level when Kevin Carr collected the ball on the penalty spot, turned his man before striking the ball right down Purvis’ throat.

After this chance, the weather really deteriorated, with both sets of fans retreating further and further back into the stands.

It took until the 71st minute for the next chance of the game and Whitley, yet again, really should have done better. After Jack Cooper worked his way down the left-hand side of the penalty area, he tried to beat Purvis at his near post, only to hammer the ball into the side netting instead.

Not happy with the one goal lead, Nash and the rest of the bench urged the Robins forward. In the 76th minute, McRoberts once again decided to try his luck on Flynn’s goal from range, however, his well-struck effort whistled narrowly over the crossbar.

And just as the game seemed to be ebbing out into a 1-0 win for the Robins, substitute Day was on hand to all but seal the three points for the visitors. Following a sensational run by Jack Donnison, the fullback delivered a perfect cross for the striker to connect with from close range, sending the Robins bench into raptures.

With time running out, the Seahorses were pushing more and more men forwards in search of a way back into the game, however, a wayward backpass found Day who had all the space in the world to run at the Whitley goal before his delicate shot beat Flynn and put a finishing touch on an impressive performance.

Final Score: Whitley Bay 0 North Shields 3

Attendance: 417

Referee: Helen Conley

Whitley Bay Starting Eleven: Tom Flynn, Craig McFarlane (Ben Christensen 45), Jack Cooper, Ben Richardson, Luke Taylor, Gavin Caines, Kevin Carr (Lewis Suddick 75), Peter Glen-Ravenhill (c), Stephen Ramsey (Kieran Brannen 46), Andrei Ardelean, Luke Salmon.

Yellow Cards: N/A

Unused Substitutes: Ibby Hassan, Lewis Walton

North Shields Starting Eleven: Greg Purvis, Jack Donnison, Jordan Summerly, David Hall, Mark McManus, Kevin Hughes (c), Sean McRoberts (Cam Cunningham 85), Adam Forster, Callum Johnston (Gary Day 68), Ryan Carr, Paul Robinson (Jack Cooper 60)

Yellow Cards: Jordan Summerly 72

Unused Substitutes: Drew Eastlake, Michael Robinson