Shildon AFC 1 North Shields 0 (23/03/2019) – Poor run continues as Robins lose to the Railwaymen by a single goal

A single goal from Ben Trotter inflicted further misery on the Robins as their winless streak in the league now stretches to five games.

After a goalless first half, Trotter was in the right place at the right time give Shildon the lead early in the second period.

Gary Ormston came closest to rescuing a point for the Robins but his powerful effort drew a fine save out of the Shildon keeper.

But with the hosts maintaining control of the game, the visitors were left to rue what could have been.

The hosts began brightly and put the Shields defence under a lot of pressure, however, in the second minute, a great breakaway from Cam Cunningham left the young winger in plenty of space to fire a cross into the box. Unfortunately, nothing came of this golden chance.

This chance seemed to spark the Robins into life and only three minutes later, brilliant link up play between Ryan Carr and Cunningham forced the Shildon defence into some desperate defending.

It took until the 12th minute for the Railwaymen to have their first effort on goal when, after some smart linkup play, Matty Robson’s effort was caught in the wind before being swallowed up by Michael Robinson.

Shildon were beginning to turn the screw and in the 19th minute, striker Billy Greulich-Smith nodded the ball over the crossbar from only five yards out.

On the stroke of the 24th minute, a ambitious effort from Marc Ellison managed to clear the safety netting behind the goal before bouncing out of the ground itself.

With both sides struggling to get the ball out of the midfield area, it was no surprise to see the score goalless as the referee blew for half time.

Whatever player/manager said to his side during the break seemed to be having the desired effect as only three minutes after the restart, Trotter was played through on goal before the linesman flagged for offside.

Moments later, they were at it again, this time managing to fire the ball into the back of the net, however, the linesman came to the Robins rescue and judged the attacker to has strayed offside.

Shildon weren’t to be denied as in the 56th minute, with almost the exact play that had been ruled out earlier, Trotter found himself in space within the Robins box before stroking the ball past Robinson.

Despite going behind, the Robins were very much still in the game and in the 60th minute, they came ever so close to levelling the score. After a strong attacking move, Ormston collected the ball at distance before thundering his effort at the Shildon goal. Unfortunately for the hosts, keeper Shaun Newbrook pulled off an outstanding save.

Pressing forward in search of an equalizer meant that Shildon were able to find space behind the Robins midfield and in the 62nd minute, only a smart piece of defending from Jack Donnison prevented the hosts from a chance at a second goal.

Donnison was a rock at the back for the Robins today and five minutes later, another moment of smart defending helped deny the Railwaymen from a freekick.

However, in a game in which both sides struggled to play their best football, the Robins weren’t able to hit the back of the net, with Shildon edging it on the day.

Final Score: Shildon 1 North Shields 0

Referee: Matthew East

Attendance: 292

Shildon Starting Eleven: Shaun Newbrook, Aidan Heywood, Matty Robson, Daniel Moore, Dominic Curl, Marc Ellison, David Palmer, Ben Trotter (c), Nathan Steel (Brad Hird 69), Billy Greulich-Smith, Aaron Duell

Yellow Cards: Aaron Duell, Marc Ellison

Unused Substitutes: Dane Eltringham, Steven Johnson, Mason Hurworth, Oscar Eckley-Aldsworth

North Shields Starting Eleven: Michael Robinson, Jack Donnison, Chris McDonald, David Hall (Adam Forster 65), Josh Nearney, Kevin Hughes (c), Craig Spooner, Gary Ormston, Gary Day, Ryan Carr, Cam Cunningham (Callum Johnston 65)

Yellow Cards: Josh Nearney 27

Unused Substitutes: Mark McManus, Josh Skivington, Greg Purvis