North Shields 3 Bishop Auckland 0: Three second half goals earn Robins deserved victory

North Shields extended their good run of form after three second half goals helped them to a deserved 3-0 victory over Bishop Auckland.

The Robins were frustrated in the first half, as effort from Cam Cunningham, Connor Campbell and Kyle Patton were squandered.

However, Wayne Buchanan opened his account for the club early in the second half with a fine header, putting the Robins ahead.

With minutes remaining, strikes from Paul Robinson and Denver Morris saw the Robins to a commanding lead.

And with the game put to bed, a fine Greg Purvis save ensured the Robins had their third clean sheet in a row.

The hosts started the game brightly and in the fifth minute, Cunningham burst into the box but his shot was poked wide of the upright.

The young winger came closer in the 13th minute when his powerful strike forced Bishops keeper Nick Liversedge into a smart save.

Midway through the first half, the Robins should have taken the lead when Campbell’s close range shot was parried away by the keeper, with Patton’s follow up deflected to safety.

Trying to go one better, the former Bishop Auckland winger fired a shot in on goal from distance, only to see the ball swerve in the air and zip the wrong side of the post.

Bishops were struggling to get out of their own penalty area and only moments before the half time break , Adam Forster’s well taken volley looped onto the top of the net.

It didn’t take long for the Robins to reassert themselves after the restart and in the 48th minute, Buchanan rose highest to meet a Chris McDonald cross; giving the Robins the lead.

Having missed opportunities in the first half, Cunningham was eager to get on the score sheet. Minutes after Buchanan’s opener, the youngster almost got what he wanted, but for a fingertip save from Liversedge.

The Robins were piling on the pressure, with Ryan Carr the next Shields player to test his luck from range, only to see the ball deflect wide. On any other day, the hosts could have had five or six!

Moments later, just before he was substituted, Patton turned his marker on the edge of the penalty area before firing a shot which zipped across the face of the goal.

With the game entering the final five minute, the Robins finally added a second goal to their tally.

Robinson, who had come on moments earlier, fed fellow substitute Morris as he broke into the penalty area. Despite initially losing possession, the former West Auckland winger won the ball back before returning it to Robinson. Noticing that Liversedge was off his line, the experienced midfielder unleashed a deft chip over the keeper’s head and into the top corner of the net.

Less than a minute later, the hosts had a third goal to boast about when Carr played substitute Scott McCarthy into space on the flank, before the former Newcastle Benfield attacker picked Morris out at the far post, leaving him with the simplest of finishes.

Despite the game being beyond their reach, Bishops were looking for a consolation and with seconds remaining, substitute Darren Richardson was played through on goal after a neat one-two play. However, his effort was brilliantly saved by Purvis, who had very little to do all game.

The win lifts North Shields up to ninth whilst Bishop Auckland now occupy 11th place in the Northern League Division One table.