North Shields 2 Guisborough Town 2: Two late goals force Robins into replay.

Two goals for Guisborough in the final few minutes condemned North Shields into an FA Cup replay after a wet and windy second half.

The Robins deservedly entered the half time break on top after Connor Campbell’s brace gave the Robins one foot into the next round.

However, with the rain worsening, the hosts struggled and with ten minutes to go, Danny Earl pulled Guisborough to within one goal.

And with only moments remaining for the Robins to hold on, Earl hammered home to secure a midweek replay in North Yorksire.

The Robins found themselves under pressure after the game kicked off as Guisborough chased the early lead.

However, the hosts finally managed to create pressure of their own and in the 10th minute, the deadlock was broken when Campbell coverted from close range, after the away defence failed to clear a freekick.

That goal filled Shields with plenty of confidence and three minutes later, a well-taken freekick by Paul Robinson met the head of Rhys Williams inside the box, only for the ball to be directed narrowly over the bar.

Robinson was dictating the pace of the game and in the 17th minute, some brilliant vision spotted Kyle Patton unmarked on the wing, however, the Patton had strayed into an offside position and the linesman raised his flag.

Guisborough were by no means laying down for the Robins and if not for another stupendous save from Greg Purvis, Earl’s shot, from a Dylan McAvoy cross, would have drawn the sides level. Following this attempt, striker Sonni Coleman tried his luck from close range but the attempt was well defended.

With seconds before the half time break, the Robins capitalised on some slack defending when Campbell, with his back to the ball, smartly turned past Rowbotham before stroking the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

The second half began in torrential rain and blustering winds, all of which affected the rhythm of the game.

It was the visitors who were coping with the terrential conditions better and in the 51st minute, Earl sent another dangerous ball across the box, only for Purvis to collect the ball amongst a sea of feet.

On the stroke of the 60th minute, the Robins came within a whisker of putting the game to bed when Robinson collected a smart pass from Ryan Carr before shooting narrowly wide of the Guisborough upright.

Eight minutes later, Patton, who was having a strong start to the season, tested Hartlepool United loanee Ryan Catterick in the Guisborough goal. After bursting free of his marker, he thundered an effort at goal, only to see it parried behind by the young keeper.

With the rain worsening, the Robins seemed content with defending the lead that they had, however, in the 80th minute, Guisborough pulled a goal back through Earl when he headed a corner kick past Purvis from close range.

And with only minutes to spare until the final whistle, Danny Earl crashed an effort in off the post from the edge of the box after another Guisborough set piece wasn’t defender properly.