Members of the Pitching In Northern Premier League East Division
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

North Shields 2 Guisborough Town 1 (12/09/2018) – Last minute Day strike rewards Robins dominance

A last-minute winner from Gary Day saw the Robins overcome a first half deficit to deservedly claim all three points.

Following a dominant start from the hosts, Guisborough took the lead against the run of play when Brandon Holdsworth converted from close range.

However, shortly after the start of the second half, Day headed home from a corner to bring the Robins level.

And with only minutes left in the game, Day once again found himself in the right place at the right time to convert from close range; following excellent play between Sean McRoberts and Jordan Summerly.

The Robins wasted no time in attacking the visiting defence when, in the second minute, Summerly collected the ball on the corner of the box before trying his luck; only to see Jordan Nixon equal to his effort.

Guisborough’s first attempt came in the 13th minute when Wood was inches away from connecting with a Holdsworth cross, much to the relief of the Robins support.

Two minutes later, following a mazy run, Paul Robinson tried his hand at chipping the visiting keeper from the touchline. Unfortunately, his effort landed on top of the roof of the net.

The Robins continued their dominance of this game when, in the 17th minute, Gary Ormston had an effort from the edge of the penalty area, only to see the ball skew wide of the goal.

However, in the 24th minute, Guisborough took the lead when Holdsworth reacted quickest to collect a back pass before rounding the keeper and prodding the ball into the back of the net.

Despite being a goal down, the hosts were still in control of the game and if not for a bit too much curl on his shot, Bobby Taylor would have had his second goal in two games in the 30th minute.

Taylor came even closer in the 36th minute to bringing the hosts level, however, his long-range effort whistled inches over the crossbar.

The Robins were really banging on the door in search of that equaliser and a Gary Ormston header in the 39th minute, from a Robinson corner, almost did just the job.

This was then followed by the best chance of the half for the Robins, with Craig Spooner firing a volley on the Guisborough goal; forcing Nixon into a very smart save.

As the second half kicked off, the pressure didn’t relent and in the 48th minute, Day stooped low to get his head to a corner; drawing the Robins level in the process.

Lee Bythway had a glorious chance to score Guisborough’s second of the game in the 54th minute, however, his close range effort clipped the post and deflected away to safety.

The impressive Summerly continued his fine performance from Penrith by almost picking up his first goal of the season in the 65th minute.  Having bamboozled his way past the Guisborough full back, Jordan then fired a shot on goal from the corner of the box, only for his effort, like at Penrith, to zip wide of the upright.

With time beginning to run out, Ormston had a glorious chance to give the Robins the lead when, in the 69th minute, he was released through on goal, only for a sensational last ditch challenge to deny him a certain goal.

With Guisborough looking as though they were settling for a point, this invited the hosts forwards and in the 73rd minute, substitute Matty Cornish, who had earlier come on for Robinson, forced Nixon into a smart save.

Liam McNamara then almost sent the home fans into raptures two minutes later when he rose highest from a Day cross to make contact with the ball, however, under extreme defensive pressure, he could only steer the ball over the crossbar.

And just as it looked as though the Robins would have to settle for a point, Day scored his fifth goal in five games to help the hosts achieve their hard-earned win.

Substitute Sean McRoberts, who was making his second appearance for the club, threaded the ball through a needle to set Summerly up in a perfect crossing position in the 89th minute. From there, he managed to pick out Day in the centre of the box, with the in-form striker only needing to make the simplest of touches to give the Robins the late lead.

With the game now into extra time, it wasn’t long before the referee blew the final whistle.

Final Score: North Shields 2 Guisborough Town 1

Attendance: 283

Referee: Mr Michael Burrows

North Shields Starting Eleven: Greg Purvis, Craig Spooner, Jordan Summerly, David Hall, Liam McNamara, Kevin Hughes, Bobby Taylor (Sean McRoberts 66), Gary Ormston (Ben Sampson 73), Gary Day, Ryan Carr, Paul Robinson (Matty Cornish 67)

Unused Substitutes: Jack Donnison, Lewis Suddick

Guisborough Town Starting Eleven: Jordan Nixon, Anthony Snook, Brian Close, Lee Bythway, Matthew Crust (Matthew Lovatt 43), John Seaton, Bradley Mills, Mark Robinson, Anthony Hume (Nathan Steel 66), Brandon Holdsworth, Lewis Wood (Alex Bruton 60)

Unused Substitutes: Mason McNeill, Steven Roberts