North Shields 1 Consett AFC 2 (01/09/2018) – Consett strike again as Robins FA Vase dreams ended

Dreams of another heroic FA Vase run were ended after Consett inflict another 2-1 defeat on a courageous Robins side.

An early goal for Michael Sweet gave the undefeated Steelmen a foothold in the game, following a disallowed goal for the Robins from Paul Robinson.

However, the impressive Craig Spooner deservedly brought the Robins back into the game when his effort took a slight deflection before nestling into the bottom corner of the net.

Unfortunately, soon after the equaliser, Arjun Purewal was on hand to send the visitors through to the next round after he tapped the ball home at the near post; ending the Robins hopes in the process.

Following an early spell of pressure from Consett, the Robins thought they had taken the lead in the seventh minute when Robinson fired his freekick past the rooted Kyle Hayes. However, the referee ordered the kick to be re-taken; with the resulting effort whistling narrowly wide of the goal.

Consett almost struck in the tenth minute through Mackay, however, having found space in the penalty area, his shot was well saved by the feet of Greg Purvis.

The pressure wasn’t relenting for the Robins and in the 16th minute, they took the lead when an Aksel Juul cross found Michael Sweet unmarked at the back post; with the attacker prodding the ball home.

Three minutes later, Consett were given a fantastic opportunity to double their lead after being awarded a freekick in a dangerous position, however, Luke Carr’s effort sailed well over the bar.

Following a quiet spell of play, Lewis Suddick had a glorious chance to draw the Robins level in the 27th minute, only to see his dangerous shot deflect off the leg of Ross Wilkinson and bobble inches wide of the goal.

After Juul had an effort blocked by the legs of Noah Summers, the Robins broke up the other end of the pitch and almost equalised in the 30th minute through Spooner, only for his powerful effort to miss the upright by a matter of inches.

The Robins tails were up now as they pushed for the equalising goal. Some good play between Spooner and Jack Cooper almost brought that equalising goal in the 34th minute, however, Consett were saved by yet another deflection.

The Steelmen begun to rally somewhat and in the 25th minute, a dangerous freekick was collected at the far post by a visiting attacker, however, the linesman had judged him to have come from an offside position; much to the relief of the Robins supporters.

This effort seemed to spur the Robins on and if not for two excellent saves from Hayes, both Gary Day and Ben Sampson could very well have given the hosts a commanding lead just before half time.

The Robins continued where they had left off in the second half and were beginning to spread the ball across the pitch. Cooper tried his luck from the edge of the box in the 47th minute, only for his effort to bobble a yard wide of the Consett goal.

Shortly afterwards, a Suddick freekick found Day in the six yard box, only for the striker to be unable to direct the ball towards goal; much to the despair of the fans behind the goal who watched the ball brush the outside of the post.

Shields were finally rewarded for their second half dominance when Spooner charged down the right-hand side before unleashing a shot from the corner of the box towards goal. Courtesy of a slight delfection, the shot beat Hayes and nestled into the bottom corner of the net; giving the Robins their equaliser on the 60th minute.

However, only four minutes later, Purewal was given enough space to be able to divert a corner into the back of the goal at the near post.

The Robins were now left to chase the game and in the 72nd minute, substitute Ryan Carr almost had the hosts back in the game, only for his powerful header to go narrowly over the crossbar.

With time running out, Consett almost killed the game off in the 86th minute through substitute Daniel Craggs, only for Purvis to pull off another impressive stop with his legs; giving his side a chance of rescuing the game.

Unfortunately, the hosts were frustrated as Consett settled on draining the clock and before long, the referee brought an end to Shields hopes of FA Vase glory.

Final Score: North Shields 1 Consett AFC 2

Referee: Mr Matthew East

Attendance: 279

North Shields Starting Eleven: Greg Purvis, Ben Sampson, Jordan Summerly, Gary Ormston (David Hall 78), Liam McNamara, Noah Summers, Lewis Suddick (Drew Eastlake 78), Craig Spooner, Gary Day, Jack Cooper (Ryan Carr 62), Paul Robinson.

Yellow Cards: Gary Day 23

Unused Substitutes: Cam Cunningham, Dan Lister

Consett Starting Eleven: Kyle Hayes, Nicholas Green, Darren Holden, Matthew Slocombe, Arjun Purewal, Ross Wilkinson (Ryan McKinnon 68), Richard Juul, Calvin Smith, Michael Sweet, Luke Carr, Michael Mackay (Daniel Craggs 70).

Yellow Cards: Darren Holden 81

Unused Substitutes: Ross Coombe, David Dowson, Nathan Lawrence.