Match Report | Robins stunned by quick fire double

Match Report

Tuesday 29th August 2023

Ebac Northern League – Division One

‘Robins stunned by quickfire double’

Whickham 2 – 0 North Shields

Looking to put Saturday’s disappointing loss behind them, the Robins came into what they knew would be another tough game.

Changes to the starting XI saw Finlay Hodgson take the place of Jonny Ball between the sticks and David Palmer and Connor Oliver return.

It was the Robins that started the brighter of the two sides, looking to dictate the play from the get go. 

The first chance of the game fell to Joe Robson inside the first five minutes, rising highest at the back post, heading an effort goal bound only to be denied by the feet of former Robins Aaron Steavens in goal for the Lang Jacks.

The hosts were presented with their first chance of the evening, a freekick awarded 25 yards, the effort harmlessly over the top.

Aaron Steavens was proving to be a thorn in the Robins side this time denying Tino Agostinho, breaking down the right before forcing a save from the young keeper.

Tom Potter switched up the play with a diagonal pass looking to pick out Dan Turner down the left but the pass had just too much on it for Turner to deal with.

An altercation just inside the Robins half, involving Joe Robson and Scott Robson, where it appeared the latter lashed out at the previous, missed by the match official, resulted in both players being booked.

Finlay Hodgson was called into action when the hosts countered with pace, Hodgson stood his ground well to keep Scott Robson out.

Another chance fell to Robson, another quick break from the hosts, a fizzing right footed volley going narrowly wide of the target from just outside the area, to the relief of the Robins.


At the third time of asking, Scott Robson opened the scoring for the hosts, the front man found the back of the net with a tame effort as the ball squirmed into the bottom corner.

The Robins, despite enjoying more possession of the ball, found themselves behind in a game which they appeared to have control of up to that point.


Possession lost in midfield, the ball worked to Munro, who was given too much space, hit a thunderous right footed effort, picking out the bottom right corner, giving Hodgson very little chance and doubling the hosts advantage.

Stunned and in disbelief, at the break most could not work out Shields found themselves in the position they lay, two goals down, arguably the better team on the night but just lacking the killer touch in the final third.

Almost immediately from the restart, the Robins were presented with a perfect opportunity pull one back the worked well down the right and into the box, unlocking the home defence, an accumulation of bodies inside the penalty area, the homeside able to scramble and deny any player in red from scoring an almost certain goal.

The first change of the night saw Tom McIntyre replace Luke Salmon.

Quite possibly one of the best tackles you’ll ever see somehow earned David Palmer a yellow card to the bemusement of both benches, the hardworking midfielder with a textbook sliding tackle to win back possession was somehow deemed a foul by the match official.

Fin Hodgson was on hand to deny Dale Burrell to deny the hosts from extending their lead.

Good play worked the ball to Agostinho, who used his strength to hold up the ball, turn and power his way past three defenders before seeing his effort diverted wide for a corner by Steavens rushing off his line.

After a hard working performance upfront, Agostinho was replaced by Rio Joisce with around 30 minutes left on the clock.

Tom Potter saw his effort on goal blocked well as the Robins looked to get a foot back in the game.

The Robins were presented with a golden opportunity, a freekick awarded after Connor Oliver found himself on the end of an unnecessary kicking off the ball, Oliver picked himself up and swung in a dangerous ball which evaded the all important touch.

Paul Van-Zandvliet replaced David Palmer who had worked tirelessly all night in the middle of the park.

Connor Gales replaced Tom Potter, who had also put in a shift to try and get the Robins back into the game.

Joe Robson was on hand to provide a crucial block just in the nick of time and deny the Lang Jacks from adding a third.

At the other end with time running, Paul Van-Zandvliet tried an effort from distance but dragged his effort harmlessly wide of the target.

Another frustrating night for the Robins, the better team for large portions of the game, enjoying a larger majority of possession of the ball and able to move it well around the pitch, unfortunately for the Robins, the final third appeared to the achilles heel, lots of promise showing but just lacking the required touch to finish off the great build up play.

Next up we are back at home on Saturday for a rescheduled tie when we welcome Northallerton Town to the Daren Persson Stadium with a 3pm kick-off.

North Shields: Hodgson, Forster, Salmon, Oliver©, Robson, Bexton, Paterson, Potter, Agostinho, Palmer, Turner.

Attendance: 203

Next Up: Northallerton Town (H) – Ebac Northern League Div One -Saturday 2nd September – 3pm