Match Report: North Shields 3 Tow Law Town 0 (19/09/20): Wilson brace sees Robins progress in FA Vase

A first half Dan Wilson brace helped North Shields to a comfortable 3-0 win over Tow Law Town in the First Qualifying Round of the FA Vase.

Robert Smith turned the ball into his own net, after a Nick Cassidy corner, to gave Shields a perfect start to the game.

Wilson struck twice in the space of ten minutes, handing the Robins another commanding lead heading into the break.

Substitute Jamie Clark saw his late headed ruled out as the referee judged he fouled his marker on the edge of the six yard box.

But with the visitors limited to half chances. the Robins comfortably held on to secure their passege into the next round of the FA Vase.

A fast paced start saw the Robins have their first chance on goal in the sixth minute, when Wilson headed a Cam Cunningham cross inches wide of the goal.

The Tow Law defence seemed to be caught cold as only two minutes later, Cassidy collected a Callum Smith ball, before his low cross was missed by the goalkeeper and deflected in off the leg of Robert Smith.

Fifteen minutes into the game saw the first chance fall the way for the visitors, with Greg Purvis needing to tip the ball around the post to deny the Tow Law forward a leveller.

That missed chance really cost them as eight minutes later, Shields had their second of the day. Having burst into the penalty area, Wilson muscled his way past a defender before firing low beyond the keeper’s reach.

Wilson almost turned into provider two minutes later when he fed Smith the ball, before the former Seaham attacker saw his shot sting the palms of Tow Law’s Lewis Graham.

On the half hour mark, Cunningham, who was making his 50th appearance for the club, looked to grab his first goal of the season but after cutting inside of his man, he curled his shot from the edge of the box just wide of the crossbar.

Two minutes later, the hosts dominance was rewarded when Cunningham and Wilson linked up well together, with the latter turning the ball in from close range; his sixth goal of the season and the Robins third.

Wilson, who netted a hattrick against Seaham Red Star, was on the hunt for another treble and in the 35th minute, he saw his shot well saved by Graham before the follow up effort was just about blocked by a diving defender.

Four minutes before the break, the Robins thought they had their fourth goal of the day when Gary Ormston, who was returning to the squad after a slight injury, powerfully headed Smith’s corner against the crossbar.

Tow Law Town were hoping to start the second half on a better footing but after only two minutes, David Robinson picked Cassidy out on the far side, before the fullback’s well-struck cross almost found the head of Wilson at the far post.

With ten minutes played in the second half the Lawyers were gifted a chance at goal, after being awarded a freekick just outside the area. However, Barrie Smith’s freekick was comfortably collected by Purvis.

Shields were creating plenty of chances down either wing and in the 56th minute, a deep ball from Cassidy left Cunningham plenty of space in which to attack. However, similar to his earlier effort, the ball was curled narrowly wide of the upright.

The only thing standing in the way of another goal for Shields was the form of Graham in the Tow Law goal. In the space of four minutes, the shot-stopper was on hand to deny both Craig Spooner and Wilson with brilliant reaction saves.

He performed miracles in the 77th minute as well when Paul Robinson, who had come on only moments earlier, saw his spectacular long range shot tipped brilliantly over the bar, when it looked almost certain to hit the back of the net.

Tow Law were in damage limitation mode as the game entered the final five minutes. Paul Robinson pulled off a great piece of skill on the touchline to beat his man, before teeing up Ormston, only for his goal bound shot to be blocked on the line by a defender.

With seconds remaining in the game, substitute Jamie Clark thought he had finally bagged the Robins fourth, after expertly heading a corner into the back of the net, only for referee Evan Culling to rule the goal out for a foul.

There was no time to press for another as the referee brought the game to an end, with North Shields set to host Northallerton Town in the next round.

Final Score: North Shields 3 Tow Law Town 0

Attendance: 268

Referee: Evan Culling

North Shields Starting XI: Greg Purvis, Nick Cassidy, Chris McDonald, Gary Ormston, Paul New, Tom Bexton, Cam Cunningham (Paul Robinson 67), Adam Forster (c), Dan Wilson (Jamie Clark 75), David Robinson (Craig Spooner 67), Callum Smith

Yellow Cards: Callum Smith 86

Unused Substitutes: Anthony Myers, Andrew Cartwright, David Hall, Robbie Christie

Tow Law Town Starting XI: Lewis Graham, Adam Knowles, Jeb Atkinson, Barrie Smith, Robert Smith, Jake Thompson, Aaron Willoughby, Jeff Smith (c), Michael Brown, Archie Gardner, Thomas McAloon

Yellow Cards: Christopher Renshaw

Substitutes Bench: David Webb, Tom Aldsworth, Christopher Renshaw, Johnson Ballan, Mark Spedding