Match Report: Bishop Auckland 1 North Shields 1 (24/10/20): Late leveller leaves Robins frustrated

A late leveller from Jack Connor left North Shields frustrated as they were held to a 1-1 draw against bottom of the league Bishop Auckland.

Dan Wilson’s early strike from close range, following Nick Cassidy’s corner, gave the visitors the perfect start.

Coleby Shepherd almost doubled the Robin’s lead midway through the second period, seeing his shot stopped by the feet of ‘keeper Nick Liversedge.

Shields were pushing forward in search of a second goal, with Ryan Carr and David Robinson coming agonisingly close with time running out.

But with minutes remaining, Connor powered his header into the far corner from close range, earning the Two Blues a well-deserved point.

At an overcast Heritage Park, it was North Shields who started the stronger of the two teams, with Robbie Christie weaving past the Bishops fullback before fizzing a low shot into the side netting after ten minutes.

Shields were looking to get ahead early and in the 12th minute, they did just that when Wilson found himself on the end of a deflected Cassidy corner, before firing home from the corner of the six yard box.

Looking for their first win of the season, the Two Blues quickly tried to restore the balance and after winning a dangerous freekick in the 18th minute, the home supporters were left frustrated as the resulting effort sailed behind for a goal kick.

Starting in place of Chris McDonald on the left hand side of the defence, Christie was eager to make his mark on the game, firing a long range shot straight down the ‘keepers throat after 23 minutes.

And it was the home shot-stopper keeping his side in the game in the first half, reacting quickly to a bad back pass to deny David Robinson what would have been a certain goal on the half hour mark.

Three minutes into the second half, after surging forwards, Christie once again tried his luck from distance, only to find Liversedge his equal once again with a low save.

After opening his account for the club against Ryhope CW last weekend, Shepherd was looking to make it two goals from two games, after working his way into the box, but his close range effort was expertly stopped by the feet of the Two Blues ‘keeper.

As the second half went along, the weather conditions worsened, with both sides struggling to maintain control of the ball. However, in the 65th minute, Christie once again was at the heart of the action, supplying a divine cross for Carr at the far post, only for the midfielder to narrowly miss.

While the Robins still found themselves on top, they struggled to find that all important second goal, with Wilson almost turning Robinson’s cross in at the far post after 73 minutes.

Shields came even closer with only seven minutes left on the clock, when substitute Cam Cunningham’s freekick found Carr in the centre of the box, only to see the resulting effort headed wide of Liversedge’s goal.

These wasted chances proved to be costly as only one minute later, Luke Hogan’s pin point cross found Connor in space in the centre of the box, with the midfielder sending his header into the top corner.

With only minutes remaining, the Robins threw everything they had at the home goal, with Wilson’s slight touch not enough to turn Nick Cassidy’s cross into the back of the net.

But it was the Two Blues who came closest to snatching all three points in the dying seconds, with Purvis’ excellent point blank save denying a certain winner.

Final Score: Bishop Auckland 1 North Shields 1

Attendence: 150

Referee: Jonathan Gill

Bishop Auckland Starting XI: Nicholas Liversedge, Ryan Robinson (Liam Goldsborough 66), Jamie Marshall, Liam Potter, Matthew Ridley, Oliver Hotchkiss, Craig Hennis (Alfie Pearn 83), Jack Connor, Christopher Winn, McKellan Lines (Kyle Morris 61), Luke Hogan

Yellow Cards: Oliver Hotchkiss 82

Unused Substitutes: Charlie Lamb, Jack Cooper

North Shields Starting XI: Greg Purvis, Nick Cassidy, Robbie Christie, Gary Ormston, Anthony Myers, Tom Bexton, Craig Spooner (Cam Cunningham 66), Adam Forster (c) (Ryan Carr 61), Dan Wilson, David Robinson, Coleby Shepherd (Kyle Patton 80)

Yellow Cards: Robbie Christie 17, Adam Forster 28, Tom Bexton 38

Unused Substitutes: Callum Smith, Paul New