Members of the Pitching In Northern Premier League East Division
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

MATCH REPORT: A comfortable derby day sees Robins crowned champions in front of booster crowd

Shields scored 3 goals, took all 3 points and wrapped up the Northern Premier Division 1 title – making it mark as one the best derby days the fans have seen.

Most of the ball in the opening exchanges were with Shields, with Regan Paterson and Andrew Cartwright both putting decent crosses into the box inside the opening 10 minutes, neither of which a Shields shirt could get on the end of. 

David Robinson then had a brilliant chance to open the scoring in the 15th minute, after a very well hit effort was saved by the midriff of Dan Lister in the Whitley net. 

Whitley then started coming into the game, with striker Adam Shanks testing Olly Marshall from distance after 19 minutes. 

In the 28th minute Dan Wilson got on the end of a Cartwright corner, but his header shot rose just above the crossbar. 

Wilson then had the best chance to open the scoring after 38 minutes after shifting the ball onto his right foot and firing a low hard effort which looked destined to hit the back of the net, but Lister again pulled off a very good save to keep the score at 0-0. 

Half-Time: Whitley Bay 0-0 North Shields 

Just four minutes into the second half, Wilson eventually got his goal after rising highest to another brilliant Cartwright corner and heading into the bottom corner right in front of the away fans. 

Shields really started to get a foothold of the game and nearly made it two after 52 minus when Cartwright struck one from distance with that wonder of a right foot, but his effort just skimmed the top of the crossbar. 

Then, cometh the hour, cometh the man. Wilson scored his and Shields’ second on the hour mark after Robinson sent a looping ball over Whitley’s two centre-backs and into the path of the number 9 who made no mistake in dispatching it. 

Shields’ players and fans alike could now see the finishing line in their sites. 

Lister once again made a good save to prevent the Robins scoring again, this time another low and hard effort from Robinson testing the keeper. 

Young substitute Dan Turner then won a penalty on the 75th minute, after confusing the Whitley defence with some fast footwork. 

Up stepped the veteran Gary Ormston, who made absolutely no mistake in converting it. The fan favourite scoring to really send the Shields family into dreamland. 

The home team scored a consolation in the 83rd minute, Malcolm Morien hitting one from just outside the Shields box. But that would be that, with North Shields seeing out the rest of the game to make sure the league title was theirs. 

Full-Time: Whitley Bay 1-3 North Shields 

Whitley Bay: D.Lister, G.Dick, H.Yoxall, B.Richardson, S.Lowery, L.Taylor, J.Ward, L.Orrell, A.Shanks, J.Gilchrist, B.Geliher

Subs: M.Morien (66’), K.Errington (66’), O.Cresdee (72’)

North Shields: O.Marshall, A.Cartwright, J.Chrisp, G.Ormston, T.Bexton, J.Walker, A.Forster ©, D.Robinson, D.Wilson, B.Hird, R.Paterson 

Subs: R.Carr (66’), D.Turner (66’), C.Smith (82’)

Attendance: 1422