Billingham Synthonia 0 North Shields 6: Ryan Carr hat trick caps fine Shields performance

A Ryan Carr hattrick capped a fantastic team performance as the Robins ran out comfortable 6-0 winners over Billingham Synthonia.

Two goals from Carr and a solo effort from Paul Robinson gave Shields a 3-0 lead at the break.

Chris Salmon scored on his debut for the club with a fine solo effort midway through the second period.

Carr and Cam Cunningham both scored late goals to round off the impressive victory.

The Robins started brightly and after only four minutes, they had their opening goal, with Robinson collecting the ball from a corner before working his way into the box and firing his shot straight into the top left hand corner.

Only four minutes later and the Robins had doubled their lead through Carr, after he controlled the ball before firing past the stranded Richard Heslin.

In the 12th minute, a parried effort from Cunningham fell straight to the feet of Connor Campbell, putting the former Heaton Stannington striker through on goal. Luckily for the hosts, Heslin kicked the ball out from under Campbells feet before he could add a third goal.

From the resulting corner, centre back Rhys Williams rose highest but his headed effort was well saved by the keeper.

The Synners were at sixes and sevens and only moments later, a Heslin error tempted Robinson into an effort from distance, only to see the shot
stopper recover just in time.

Despite their start, the hosts steadied themselves and in the 19th minute, Thomas Bligh had an effort which flew well wide off the goal; his sides first effort at goal.

They were made to rue this miss as Carr added his second goal of the game (the Robins third) in the 26th minute. A fantastic ball across the penalty area found the midfielder lurking on the edge of the six yard box before he converted with a first time effort.

Whilst the rest of the half remained unmemorable, the hosts begun the second period with a bang as in the 47th minute, a rasping shot from Bligh
cannoned off the crossbar before being cleared.

Despite being on the back foot at the start of the second period, the Robins soon added to their lead.

In the 57th minute, a weaving run from debutant Salmon resulted in the attacker bursting through on goal before calmly slotting the ball past Heslin.

With the game all but won, manager March Nash handed Marc Jacques his first team debut, replacing fellow debutant Salmon in the 63rd minute.

As the game entered the 70th minute, the Robins found themselves adding a fifth goal to their tally, with Carr getting his hattrick in the process.

After a smooth piece of play between Campbell and Robinson, all that Carr had to do was put the ball into the back of the net.

With the Synners pressing hard in search of a consolation goal, the Robins needed to be as alert as ever and in the 77th minute, Robinson executed a perfect challenge, after tailing his man half the length of the pitch, to deny a break away.

Not wanting to be left out of the action, Campbell tried to heap more misery on the hosts when he tried his luck on goal, only for Heslin to block his shot.

Sixty seconds later, Chris McDonald attempted to sneak the ball in at the near post, after bamboozling his marker, but the keeper managed to smother the fullback’s effort.

With time running out, Campbell once again tested the reflexes of the Synners keeper, only to find Heslin a match for another of his shots on goal.

But with time almost up, Cunningham managed to squeeze a sixth goal onto the scoresheet to round off an impressive display. After a fine piece of skill, the youngster worked his way into the penalty area, past tired defenders, before gently curling the ball past the helpless Heslin.

And only moments after the restart, the referee called time on a game where the Robins rarely looked like getting anything less than three points.