Members of the Pitching In Northern Premier League East Division
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Guisborough Town v North Shields

Guisborough Town 2 - 4 North Shields
23 Sep 2020 - 19:45

Another sensational second half performance saw North Shields claim their fourth win in a row; defeating Guisborough Town 4-2 at the KGV Stadium.

Dan Wilson opened the scoring for the Robins in the first half, before a Mason McNeill leveller tied the game up at the break.

The returning Ryan Carr gave the visitors the lead midway through the second half, with an unstoppable finish into the bottom corner.

Cam Cunningham and Callum Smith soon put the game beyond the reach of Guisborough, with well taken efforts from inside the box.

And despite a late consolation from Sonni Coleman, the Robins held on to a win which takes them back into second in the Division One table.

It only took the Robins three minutes to test the Guisborough defence, when Tom Bexton almost converted an Andrew Cartwright freekick at the far post.

Wilson, who has found his form since returning to the club, was looking to continue his hot streak in front of goal, but he could only fire a Chris McDonald pass clear of the crossbar.

But only two minutes later, the hosts began to create chances of their own, when Joe Ferguson found too much space on the edge of the box before blazing his effort well over.

In the 13th minute, Wilson once again had an opportunity to open the scoring for Shields, with his close range header, from a McDonald cross, not troubling the Guisborough keeper.

However, he soon found his range when in the 26th minute, he reacted quickest after Aaron Steavens could only parry a special Cartwright freekick right into his path; leaving him a simple finish.

The Robins were starting to turn the screw in search of a second and four minutes later, only a spectacular Steavens save prevented David Robinson from scoring a great goal; with some desperate defending denying the midfielder on the follow up.

Shields were made to pay for not putting their chances away when in the 35th minute, McNeill held his man off on the edge of the penalty area before firing low into the bottom corner, beoyd the reach of Greg Purvis.

As the weather worsened, it looked as though the hosts were the more likely to score and in the 42nd minute, following a defensive mixup, they should have.

After intercepting a poor pass, Coleman broke free on goal, only for Anthony Myers to pull off a tremendous recovery tackle to keep the scores level at the break.

Having almost scored right at the beginning of the first half, Bexton almost scored right at the beginning of the second, only to turn a low Cartwright cross the wrong side of the post.

The Robins continued their second half dominance and after a flurry of substitutions, they managed to retake the lead with just over 15 minutes left in the game.

After collecting a powerful pass, Carr took a touch, scooped the ball away from his marker before rifling his shot straight into the bottom corner of the net, leaving Stevens helpless in the home goal.

That proved to be the straw that broke the camel’s back as only three minutes later, Cunningham caught the Guisborough defence sleeping, bursting through on goal before calmly finishing past the onrushing Steavens.

Shields were in cruise control now and with only three minutes left on the clock, they equalled their score from last season’s match up when Smith, much like Cunningham before him, caught the home defence cold.

With acres of space to play in, the forward surged into the penalty area, before curling the ball, which took a slight touch off the keeper, into the back of the net, leaving the home supporters to head for the exit.

There was a slight threat of a comeback only two minutes later as Coleman, who was afforded far too much space in the centre of the box, towered above everyone else to head the ball home.

But it was too little too late for the Priorymen, as Shields got their act together and comfortably brought all three points back to North Tyneside, lifting them up to second; two points behind leaders Hebburn Town.

Final Score: Guisborough Town 2 North Shields 4

Attendance: 187

Referee: Christopher Ellis

Guisborough Town Starting XI: Aaron Steavens, Callum Martin, Mark Robinson, Charlie Marshall, Nathan Guru, Josh Rowbotham (c), Joseph Bartliff, Paul Young (Brandon Holdsworth 79), Joe Ferguson, Sonni Coleman, Mason McNeill

Yellow Cards: N/A

Substitutes Bench: Dylan McAvoy, Jaan Yaqub, Bradley Marron, Jake Kennedy

North Shields Starting XI: Greg Purvis, Andrew Cartwright, Chris McDonald, David Hall (Gary Ormston 68), Anthony Myers, Tom Bexton, Cam Cunningham, Adam Forster (c), Dan Wilson, David Robinson (Ryan Carr 63), Coleby Shepherd (Callum Smith 68)

Yellow Cards: Tom Bexton 78

Unused Substitutes: Nick Cassidy, Paul New