Members of the Pitching In Northern Premier League East Division
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Stylish Second Half Lifts Robins

Crook Town 1 - 4 North Shields
27 Oct 2021 - 19:30

Crook Town AFC 1-4 North Shields FC

Stylish second half lifts North Shields

The first action of the game came in the third minute of play. With the hosts finding joy down the left hand side, and a foul by Paul Van-Zandvliet won a freekick out wide on the edge of the box. The ensuing ball however failed to trouble and was scuttled away.

A mere three minutes later saw Shields hit their first shot on target of the game. Chris McDonald making his way down the left hand side and pulling a ball back to Paul Van who sidefooted it towards goal. The effort was tame however, and Crook ‘keeper Ronan Makepeace held it comfortably.

The first standout chance of the game fell to Callum Smith, who broke free of the defensive line and ran down the left hand channel. He struck his effort well but swiped it wide.

The Robins began to get a hold of the game well, and down the right hand side Andy Cartwright beat two men and made an incising run, poking a through ball towards Smith but it was just short, and cut out by the Crook defence.

The hosts made their first chance 16 minutes into play. A ball from midfield put their forward in on goal and with only the keeper to beat dragged his shot past Olly Marshall’s far post.

A spell of pressure for Crook won a freekick down the Shields left – similarly to the first. This time however the ball in was met by Connor Johnson who nodded home easily.

An equaliser was almost immediate from the Robins. A move down the right between Forster and Cartwright ended in a wicked ball being fired across the box, the goal was gaping but the shot was launched agonisingly over the bar.

As Shields began to get a foot hold in the game and hold possession better, fouls were being drawn consistently across the midfield. One of which was launched into the area by Cartwright and met perfectly by Ryan Carr, who cleanly flicked it on with is head leaving the Crook defence to watch it glide into the back of the net.

The 37th minute saw the first booking of the game. A frustrated Toby Pascoe at left back saw yellow for an accumulation of fouls.

The hosts then worked a glorious chance in the Shields area on the 40th minute. A ball from the Shields left once again found its intended target in the middle and after dancing himself into yards of space, Jamie Tumilty poked his effort wide when it seemed easier to score.

Anth Myers harshly saw yellow in the 43rd minute for a trip on the Crook left winger.

Dan Wilson battled the Crook backline on the stroke of half time to work himself a chance. The left footed strike was low and hard but was cleared by the feet of Makepeace.

The first action of the second half was glorious for Shields. A goalmouth scramble was headed home by Smith to give the Robins the lead for the first time in 53 minutes of play.

Then again in the 55th minute Shields struck gold again, a right hand run by Cartwright was pulled back to Paul Van who swept the ball into the back of the net – souring the home support.

Shields began to dominate the game in the 60th minute. An excellent free flowing move between Wilson, Carr and Smith ended in a chance for the latter on the edge of the box but the shot just curled wide.

The 67th was the minute that the Crook boss saw fit to make his first change of the game. Replacing Kai Hewitson with Jack Harrison

Just three minutes later saw Adam Forster hit a sidefooted strike from the edge of the box but once again the shot was the wrong side of the post.

Gary Ormston was the first to come off for Marc Nash’s side, as David Robinson made his first appearance in the 72nd minute after a short period without gametime.

Toby Pascoe was at the centre of attention again a few minutes later, failing to deal with the marauding runs of Forster and Cartwright. The referee pulled the left-back back for another foul, prompting his manager to withdraw him from play and Lee Hume took his place.

The 76th minute saw Ryan Carr replaced, with Jack Leonard his successor.

Three minutes later Nash made his final change of the game. Pulling off Cartwright in favour of Nick Cassidy for the final 10 minutes.

Five minutes later and yet another Shields attack down the flank wasn’t dealt with. Outnumbered the Crook backline conceded a penalty in the 85th minute following a trip just inside the area.

Dan Wilson stepped up and confidently fired home to the keeper’s left.

FULL TIME: Crook Town AFC 1-4 North Shields FC

Shields XI: Marshall, Cartwright, McDonald, Ormston, Myers, Milburn, Van-Zandvliet, Forster, Wilson, Carr, Smith – SUBS: Cassidy, Leonard, Robinson

Crook XI: Makepeace, Scott, Pascoe, Webb, Johnson, Elgie, Smith, Fielding, Hewitson, Tumilty, Hunworth – SUBS: Hume, Harrison

Attendance: 365